Layoff-to-Employment Action Planner (LEAP)
Innovative Best Practice in Nation’s Most-Effective Reemployment Program
Laid-off workers deal with uncertainty, stress, and immobilization: “What do I do next? How will I pay my bills? Who will ever hire me?” It’s difficult for you and your staff to help the unemployed sort through their worries, let alone guide them in reemployment planning.
Identified as an innovative best practice for reemployment in research for the U.S. Department of Labor, the best-selling LEAP is the only tool that helps dislocated workers and UI claimants organize the 8 most important issues faced during a layoff. In 3 easy steps, workers rank complex job and life problems and get reemployment action steps that address their needs and barriers.
LEAP is used in Nevada’s Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment (REA) program, which is the most effective REA of the states studied for the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Combines self-assessment, guidance, and planning into a 6-panel foldout format
- Is helping thousands of dislocated workers to cope with job loss, to assess their needs, and to create a personalized reemployment plan
- Offers short-term and long-term job-search and reemployment planning suggestions
- Guides the unemployed in overcoming their barriers to rapid reemployment
- Is completely self-guiding for job seekers, making LEAP very useful in agencies and centers limited on time, budget, and staff
- Helps you match employment services to each person’s needs and give useful career and job search guidance on the spot
SCALES / TOPICS COVERED
- Addresses 8 key concerns after job loss: finances, emotional issues, social/family issues, use of time, education and training, next job, job search, and use of services/resources
- Helps the unemployed to prioritize the 8 concerns and to gain clarity on where to turn and what to do next.
- Concise 6-panel foldout design with 3 clear steps
- Completely self-guiding for job seekers and the unemployed
- Color-coded for easy use and self-scoring
- Comes shrink-wrapped flat in convenient packs of 50
- Ideal for all workers at all levels
- Written at an 8th-grade reading level
HOW LEAP WORKS
- Takes about half-hour to complete
- Step 1—Assess: Individuals read each statement and circle the response that best describes their level of concern about it.
- Step 2—Evaluate: Individuals quickly and easily add their totals and learn in which areas they need help and guidance.
- Step 3—Create: Individuals review and checkmark the most helpful reemployment guidance. They also write down the action steps they will take in each area.
- Easy to administer—just provide pens or pencils
- Use in group settings, use one-on-one, or distribute for self-completion
- Ideal for Employment Services, American Job Center/Career One-Stop orientation meetings, Reemployment Eligibility and Assessments (REA), Rapid Response, TAA, job clubs, layoff transition and job search workshops, alumni career services, job counseling and coaching, library workshops for unemployed patrons, and as take-home handouts
- Free LEAP Administrator’s Guide available in PDF upon LEAP purchase; helps administrators get the most out of using LEAP with dislocated workers
- Created with input from workforce development/career professionals and dislocated workers
- Research based
- Created and printed in the USA by Career Action Resources
IN THE NEWS
LEAP has been featured in an IMPAQ International Study for the U.S. Department of Labor, National Career Development Association’s Career Convergence, National Association of Workforce Development Professionals’ newsletter, USATODAY.com, Yahoo! News, and others.
Career professionals and dislocated workers recommend LEAP because it provides needed guidance to laid-off workers. Read LEAP testimonials.